Friday, November 20, 2009

Swimming Pools

I think in another life I lived in the water… perhaps I was a dolphin or a mermaid or a synchronized swimmer. I love the water, all water really but if I had to prioritize it swimming pools would be at the top of the list.

Lakes are great but weeds, mysterious mucky bottoms and an unpleasant allergy to some lakes with an unknown lake flotsam (damn you Wabedo) taint the experience. Speaking of taint, the iron tinted rusty rocky depths Superior and the Upper Seine taunt me every summer but their size and latitude make for a frigid dip.

Oceans and seas are fantastic. The salty buoyancy and rolling surf open a world of gravity-defying play. However, I watch enough Discovery Channel to be keenly aware of the converse relationship between the depth at which I frolic and my position on the food chain. In short, the deeper I play, the lower the link on the food chain I sit.

Despite being void of nature’s inspiration, I am thankful for swimming pools. They simply alleviate all the above risk. Pools offer visibly clear water, chemically treated and temperature controlled, free of toothed or poisonous predators and unpredicable unforgivable riptides; pools afford easily accessible safe seasonless submersion on-demand.

No comments: