Saturday, November 14, 2009

Coffee

It is more than just a caffeine delivery mechanism. I love coffee so much, I drink decaf a lot of the time. Coffee is morning in a cup. A complex, multifacted symphony of flavors to awaken all five of the senses.

Sound--crushing beans with a crunching whining growl, the grinder signals the process is underway.

Smell--wafting through through the rooms, the filtering drip teases me with the prospect of advance cup.

Sight--mixing the perfect creamy shade of brown, the cream primes the cup with a small sploosh.

Touch--feeling the warmth of the mug in hand, the heat is so comforting I hold it with two hands.

Taste--savoring the nuance of each flavor, the first sip is a welcome companion in greeting the morning or finishing off a dessert.

Today, my favorite seasonal roast, Caribou Coffee's Reindeer Blend, emerged from its ten month nap. I'm thankful for coffee; not just the flavor, the ritual or even sometimes the pick-me-up of the caffeine but the social society that exists among coffee drinkers and special ring in the phrase "meeting for coffee."

No comments: