Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sushi and its Supply Chain

Day 11 of 30 Days of Thankful

I love fine food and a good a meal. Sushi is a special favorite of mine, probably because I don't have it very frequently... Not many of my friends share my love of sushi.

Tonight, I came across some of the best sushi I've ever had at Seven. The flavor and texture were perfect and so fresh I swear I could still smell and taste the ocean. I began to think about the journey of this fish from sea to plate and all of the people who made it happen. I'm sure yellow slicker clad Gorton's Fisherman has plenty of automation to churn out fish-bits as sticks; a level of automation that sushi grade just would not tolerate.

The fact that I can safely consume raw fish whenever my heart desires in spite of the fact that I live landlocked in the middle of the country is a little luxury that I am thankful for. Giving thanks from gill to tail, the supply chain that ferries the fish to my community and the fine restaurateurs who slice, wrap and roll a delicious, artful tradition from the far east to the plates of the midwest.

No comments: