Monday, March 24, 2008

And the winner is...

I mentioned in my Christmas letter my new obsession with recipe/food tasting judging contests and Easter Sunday was the perfect opportunity to get cooking. It was the Hollandaise showdown and classic Eggs Benedict was my canvas.

Lance and Sarah--my willing diners and seasoned judges--and I tasted four different Hollandaise sauces using three different methods. The winning recipe, featured below, was the most tasty and the easiest to pull off:

Blender Hollandaise Sauce

INGREDIENTS
3 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 dash hot pepper sauce (e.g. Tabasco™)
1/2 cup butter

DIRECTIONS
In the container of a blender, combine the egg yolks, mustard, lemon juice and hot pepper sauce. Cover, and blend for about 5 seconds. Place the butter in a glass measuring cup. Heat butter in the microwave for about 1 minute, or until completely melted and hot. Set the blender on high speed, and pour the butter into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream. It should thicken almost immediately. Keep the sauce warm until serving by placing the blender container in a pan of hot tap water.

The runners up were; 2nd place, Cub Foods sauce mix, 3rd place, Knorr (by Lipton) sauce mix and the 4th place, Good Housekeeping classic recipe proved too lemony for Benedict but I suspect it would brighten up the spring asparagus harvest.

1 comment:

Plante Consulting said...

I am surprised my "family" recipe didn't make it.

One huge chuck of Velveta cheese
A bunch of cream or 2% milk

Heat in pan til piping hot.

I am sure there is some ingredient I am missing, but you get the idea.

BTW -- I am totally serious that this is how my mom makes hollandaise sauce.