Saturday, November 1, 2008

This Week in Pumpkin: Caribbean Pumpkin and Black Bean Soup

An easy soup I whipped on a chilly Sunday for a visit from my Madagascar travel buddy and favorite vegetarian Joanna. Super easy and uniquely tasty.

Ingredients:
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 15-ounce can pure pumpkin puree
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained
1 14-ounce can light unsweetened coconut milk
1 cup canned vegetable broth
4 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
3/4 teaspoon grated lime peel

Preparation:
Stir cumin in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, beans, coconut milk, broth and 3 tablespoons cilantro. Bring soup to boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 3 minutes to blend flavors. Mix in lime juice and lime peel. Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon cilantro.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, even though there are more than three ingredients, I think I could make this recipe. If I can find coconut in a can. Where does one even go to find that????? The baking aisle???? Never been down that aisle.

lupingirl said...

Sounds really good! I may have to try this!

Michele Durkin said...

Kiki- I have made this twice now and it's a hit. I LOVE IT!!