Monday, October 20, 2008

My Kind of Town, Chicago Is.

I just got back from my first grown up weekend in Chicago (I’d been before as a kid [Great America] and in 2000 on a 14 week project in the suburbs) and an awesome stay at the Brown B&B.

The hospitality of the proprietors is eclipsed only by their company—and perhaps their adorable four-legged bell-hop Jackson. We had bluebird weather and the most amazing city as a backdrop to our exciting agenda. I would upload pictures but I am on the couch but my camera is two rooms and my feet still hurt.
  • Friday: An early morning flight had me in the Windy City in time for a brownstone stroll from Kate’s to lunch. Then a city tour and wine and snack replenishment before settling in one of Chicago’s fine pubs, Halligan Bar where the Guinness flows freely for $3 a glass. We spent a while there then dined on pizza.
  • Saturday: A leisurely breakfast and coffee was the fuel we needed for a Chicago Segway Tour along the lake front. It takes a while to get the hang of it but dang it is fun! And makes shocking use of every little ligament and tendon in your feet and ankles. Sunshine and the 7.5mph wind in our hair (top speed) plus a spicy Mexican lunch and strong margarita’s at El Jardin Café required a nap to recover. We dined at Calo Ristorante for dinner where we had the most amazing lobster ravioli. And tiramisu take out dessert for later.
  • Sunday: A 12-minute stroll to the Addison El station, directly behind Wrigley Field, where we picked up the Red Line to take us to Soldier Field for the Bears versus Vikings. I had heard ahead of time that Bears fans could be, er, um difficult but that was not the case. We found ourselves surrounded by good humored fans who tolerated my purple pride. Dinner at Vines on Clark and it was time to pack and brave the traffic to O’Hare.

My quality time with Kate and Jason at the Brown B&B had come to an end but memories that will last a lifetime, pictures that I’ll share soon and cravings that will haunt me until I can visit again.

No comments: