Sunday, September 14, 2008

Shine Your Badge

This is the phrase Sarah, my sister-in-law, uses with me if I am shirking a compliment or behaving overly humble. I had a minor domestic disaster this weekend which upon the after action review I feel compelled to pull out the polish and a soft cloth.

At about 3:00AM Saturday morning I awoke to a noise. Realizing I had fallen asleep watching the news I turned off the TV and snuggled down to resume my regularly scheduled slumber. With the TV quieted I heard from downstairs a very loud and persistent whooshing noise—the whooshing noise that even half asleep I could tell was rushing water.

I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter… When, what to my wondering eyes should appear, But a large pool of water on my living room floor.

Alas, my water softener (circa 1985) had given up the main seal at the top of the tank. I hit the pool of water and began a sprint to the kitchen only then to execute the perfect cartoon fall in the living room. You know the one where your legs somehow slip forward out from underneath you and you hang horizontally in mid-air for a moment before you hit the floor flat on some combination of your back and butt. I pulled myself up, now sopping wet, and quickly (yet carefully) padded into the laundry room behind the kitchen to access the water main. With each crank of the valve the gushing diminished.

The floor was my number one priority… pooling water is the archenemy of laminate wood floor. Thankfully there was a pile of dirty towels in the laundry room. I sopped and wiped and repeated before I positioned a fan to finish the work I couldn’t. I decided that the collateral damage of paint cans and Christmas decorations would be better handled I the light of day. Off to bed—after all it was only 3:45.

I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning up the mess and drying things out and during that time I realized how well I had handled this little snafu.

  • I did not cry, not once. Not only that but I remained calm.
  • I knew where all the shut-offs were and on Saturday when it came time to turn the water to the house back on and by-pass the water softener I knew how to, and had the tools to loosen up frozen valves.
  • I have enough savings on hand to buy a new softener without feeling even a pinch.

Yeah, I kinda rock.

6 comments:

Confessions of a Mom said...

Impressive! All of it. I would not, however, expect you to cry, so I am not sure if I can pat you on the back for holding back the tears. My mom and Mike will be proud -- I will have them read this ASAP.

Michele said...

Kinda? You totally rock. And this is but one example.

Kristen said...

It's not that I held back tears... there were none to hold back. My eyes were the only thing dry at one point. :)

JRM said...

I keep telling you that you've got game....that has many different meanings my friend!

Amy said...

How handy are you? I would have totally freaked and started calling repairmen to see who might rescue me for some exorbinate amount of cash. Then I would have cried ...

Kirk Ahlberg said...

Glad to hear the FFC taught you something about having some savings tucked away for just such an unforseen occurrence.