Monday, November 1, 2010

30 Days of Thankful Redux

Welcome to November readers!!! Only 24 more sleeps until Thanksgiving and to celebrate I am reviving my 30 days of Thankful. Not only do I want to build upon what I started in 2009 (I have more than 30 things for which I am ebulliently thankful) I feel compelled to finish what I started.

After my friend Larry died a blinking cursor was more than I could manage. So daunting in fact I could not even bring myself to complete and distribute the annual Christmas newsletter that gave birth to this very blog. He nurtured my love of writing so what better symmetry than to kick off the month sharing how thankful I am for... Words.

Courtesy of my niece Sophie, I think Abby Cadabby from Sesame Street sings it best, "Words, words and more words, how I adore words."

Grammar, tense and punctuation futilely render inconsequential sans words to knit together. Cornucopia, ramification, smorgasbord, organza, medieval, precipitate, palpable and even fuck--with all its creative and spicy derivatives--are some of my favorite words. Either the sound they make rolling off the tongue or the image they conjure.

Think about it, when you read the word organza what immediately comes to mind? Not a brick? And the word precipitate, you know something is going to be falling from somewhere--snow from the sky, solid out of a liquid suspension or innovative ideas in response to a barrier.

To punctuate my point in closing recently a friend of mine and I spent nearly 20 minutes over dinner one night discussing the difference between a gulch, crevasse, chasm, canyon, ditch, and valley; just two word nerds talking over dinner.